Replacing old concrete floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not much left in the piggy bank and I need to rennovate some floors in the house we just bought. The old floors consisted of 20mm floorboards laid on joists set in concrete. The floorboards are firewood. The sub-floor is cracked, damp and the timber joists which are set into it are well rotten.

I plan to remove all the old concrete and timbers then excavate to a depth of 310mm then add 75mm of brick hardcore, 30mm of sand, a DPC, 75mm Kingspan insulation, 100mm mesh reinforced concrete, 10mm self-leveling compount then glue 20mm reclaimed pine floorboards on top. I intend to put 25mm Kingspan around the wall to allow for the concrete to expand.

Is this a sound idea or has anyone a better solution.

Sponsored Links
It's a sound idea..

But,,,,, you will need a seperate DPM (liquid) under your final 10mm screed if you want to glue pine flooring to the slab.

If you level your concrete well enough you should get away with a 3/4mm screed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back