Insulating a concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I was wondering how best to go about insulating the floor in my bungalow.

I have a 3 bed detached bungalow. I want to insulate the floors. There is a a concrete slab and it had a timber floor that sat on rows of bricks with gaps between. the bungalow has a double skin brick and block wall and there are air bricks that supply the floor area with air. It was a pre fab and the floorboards were in rafts or cassettes of about 8 boards. I want to take out all the bricks and lay insulation such as kingspan minus bricks, then overboard with ply and lay the old floor cassettes back down again.

I was thinking that I should block off the bricks lay a breathable membrane on the concrete then my kingspan then another layer of membrane then ply and finally floor cassettes.

I want to know if this is the correct way to do things and what insulation and membranes are best to use. cheers, Edd.

Sponsored Links
I think I get what you want to do.

structurally and in theory laying insulation on the concrete and putting back the floor cassettes sounds fine. You should full fill the void with insulation and not leave air pockets or leave in the ventilation. You should also lay a DPM as well.

But I would be cautious and seek a surveyors opinion as you could create condensation within the rest of the building as you will have removed the underfloor ventilation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back