replacing old rad with heated towel rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to replace my rads in the bathroom and ensuite with heated towel rail type rads. I also want to install an electrical element so they heat up when the CH is not in use.

Is it OK to leave the element on all the time even when the CH is on. I'm presuming a thermostat in the element will switch the electrical element off automatically when the CH heats the water.

The instructions with the rails state the system must be fully cleaned with a suitable cleaner after installation otherwise tiny pinhole leaks may form.

I've ordered a chemical cleaner from screwfix along with an inhibitor, is it satisfactory to simply connect a hose to the drain on the lowest rad and pour the chemical cleaner into the header tank and let it run through the system for sometime.

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
If u leave the elements on in winter when the heating is on u will reduce the life of the element & increase ya lecy bill. best have them on a timer set to run in summer & only on in winter when heatings not on. To clean the system add the cleaner after you have fitted the towel rails, then fill the system up & leave it in & run the system for as the instructions states, maybe a few weeks, then drain down again & refill adding the inhibiter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back