replacing older consumer units with split load boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just fitted a split load board to replace a unit that is probably about 15 years old (mini trips) for a house that has recently been extended. The new circuits for the extension have been connected to the unit without fault. However, upon adding the existing circuits, the RCD trips when a particular power ring is added. Unfortunately, this power ring has been wired so that both upstairs and downstairs sockets are on the single circuit. We have told the client that the circuit has a fault, but no matter what we say they come back with the comment 'well it was working before you put the new consumer unit up!'. Ideally, this circuit should be on an RCD, because of the downstairs sockets. The client does not want us to find the fault because 'it was already working'. Should we just put the circuit on the unprotected side of the unit, just on an MCB, so in effect putting it back to its original safety state.

I am aware of what the guide-lines are, but on site and faced with this problem what would the 'voice of experience' say?

Sponsored Links
You as the installer will be responsible, you should there for find the fault irsepective of what your client says, but first thing i would do is to un plug EVERYTHING, then connect it, if your client objects the answer is simple, leave it dissconected saying it is dangerours, you could also point out that an RCD is there to protect them and you are not trying to con them but are concerned for their safety

Can an installation ever be so faulty that an electrician is obliged to disconnect it from the supply and inform the supply company?

if it was that faulty they wouldn't need to, the fuse would blow.

When an electricain works on something they then become liable for the whole of that cct, so following on from that, change th C.U and you become responible for all the wiring, so if in your opinion it is unsafe, either fix it, or do not connect it

Sponsored Links
As breezer said you are now responsible , taking the sockets off the RCD protected side is the easiest way out and its also the worst,

1) Something is going on with the socket circuit (ie, fault)
2) Any socket outlet which is likely to power equipment for outdoor use needs to be protected (ie, downstairs sockets)

There are 2 reasons to find the fault, or determine if its the clients equipment (old heater / fridges etc), don't suppose your going to issue a domestic installation certificate for changing the board? which you should......

Ban-all-sheds, I personally think if an installation is that bad we should have the power to isolate it (the supply authority do). The last electrician on site takes on all responsibility for it........I know what i would do :evil:

if only we had the power like gas engineers to leave the supply isolated

but unfortunately we don't and you can only issue them with a note voicing your concerns and changes you suggest to make the installation safe

then the responsibility is passed back to the owner/duty holder of the installation

and yes a new installation cert, schedule of test results and a periodic inspection report should be issued to the customer

i suggest doing a periodic inspection report and testing the installation before disconnecting and fitting the new cu

then you can insure that the installation is safe and if not you can agree with the customer any works that needs to be completed before the new work is carried out ie crossed live and neutrals

i know in an ideal world all this should happen and out there this isn't the case but when something goes wrong all the above is relevant

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back