Replacing plastic switch with Chrome

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP.

I have replaced all light switches with chrome ones and now only 1 of the switches works.

This is the kitchen switch, which presumably is the start of the circuit. In this first switch and another (possible final switch in circuit) there are 3 wires; 1 yellow for Top and 2 reds for bottom of switch.

I've taken chrome switches off & replaced with plastic to see if they would work as originally but they don't except for the kitchen one!

Any ideas?

Also; although there is an earth wire in each switch block I did not connect any earth wires to the new chrome switch - if I need to connect an earth is this for every switch or just the first one.

Any ideas, answers much appreciated as its getting quite dark!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
you will have wired something wrong. did you change switch wiring like-for-like?

earth must be connected to metal backoxes, and the switch if its class 1

Yes iit's gotta be you rewired the switch wrong. I would put them on all switches, very easy to do and only cost you a few quid.

A back box is regarded as an exposed extraneous part and as such MUST be earthed.

Sponsored Links
Hate to be picky but a backbox is an exposed conductive part but like you say it is required to be earthed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back