Replacing stop-cocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Plumbing and I don't always see eye to eye, so I thought I'd post what I was thinking of doing, and see what the experts think.

Our dishwasher literally fell to pieces. Well, it had it coming. Just buy a new one, and connect it in place of the old one, right? Except that the stop-tap doesn't actually turn off the water.

dishwashertap.jpg

(Yes, I do know it's in the 'on' position in the photo - makes no odds what position it's in, really.) What can I say? It was cheap. I should replace it with something better - any recommendations? It's connected directly to the main supply, and we're in a hard water area, if that matters.

That brings me on to my second problem. The main internal stop-cock doesn't work either. And no, it isn't just because the handle fell off. :LOL:

stopcock.jpg

It's very stiff, but I can still turn it with a Mole wrench on the spindle - however, even when it's reached the limit of its travel, the water still gushes out. Plainly I should replace that, too... Assuming I can find the external stop-cock, that is. :confused: The hole under the little flap out on the pavement seems to have nothing but mud down it. There must be a tap down there somewhere, surely, but perhaps I should invite the water board to sort that out. They wouldn't be pleased if I broke something.

Anyway, any recommendations regarding the internal stop-cock? It has 22mm plastic pipe coming in, and 15mm copper coming out. I'm assuming I can just buy something similar and connect it in. I don't seem to have a drain cock anywhere - do I need one of those, or are the nearby kitchen taps good enough to drain the system?

Thanks for reading, if you made it this far. And thanks in advance for any advice you can give. :)

Sponsored Links
have you tried taking the blue lever off the washing machine valve and closing it as the plastic some times wear and just spins, so looking like its turned the valve but it hasn't.

... I should replace it with something better - any recommendations? It's connected directly to the main supply, and we're in a hard water area, if that matters.

Standard fitting these - available from any DIY store. You undo it, wrap a bit of ptfe over the olive and put the new one on (you'll then have a spare nut and olive which you can keep as a souvenir)

That brings me on to my second problem. The main internal stop-cock doesn't work either. And no, it isn't just because the handle fell off. :LOL:

stopcock.jpg

It's very stiff, but I can still turn it with a Mole wrench on the spindle - however, even when it's reached the limit of its travel, the water still gushes out. Plainly I should replace that, too... Assuming I can find the external stop-cock, that is. :confused: The hole under the little flap out on the pavement seems to have nothing but mud down it. There must be a tap down there somewhere, surely, but perhaps I should invite the water board to sort that out. They wouldn't be pleased if I broke something.

There will be one down there - clean as much away as possible.
Anyway, any recommendations regarding the internal stop-cock? It has 22mm plastic pipe coming in, and 15mm copper coming out. I'm assuming I can just buy something similar and connect it in. I don't seem to have a drain cock anywhere - do I need one of those, or are the nearby kitchen taps good enough to drain the system?

If you can install a drain valve that will be useful for the future- in the meantime use the kitchen tap, but when you disconnect the stopcock, there will be a reaonable amount of water in the pipework

The 15mm pipe coming out of the top of the one in your photo has had a reducer installed, so is currently a 22mm fitting

[ You undo it, wrap a bit of ptfe over the olive and put the new one on

no. why.

just unscrew the bule handle and use a proper spanner. when you redo the washing machine joint use a little silicone grease or olive oil on the thread and washer.

Sponsored Links
[ You undo it, wrap a bit of ptfe over the olive and put the new one on

no. why.

just unscrew the bule handle and use a proper spanner. when you redo the washing machine joint use a little silicone grease or olive oil on the thread and washer.

To ensure a seal between old olive and new fitting. And no, I can't stand the stuff either and very rarely use it. If we were there doing it we would do without but we're not. So have advised it for peace of mind for the op since he may get a drip and become concerned.

fair play mate but i'd recommend op does it properly 1st, then goes for broke(n) :LOL:

In which case:

EnglishBob - Gavinda and I are referring to the need to use ptfe tape. It shouldn't be necessary for you to use this, but it's probably worth your while having some around in case you can't get a good watertight seal when you refit the new washing maching isolator valve. :LOL:

In your picture, we can all see that ptfe has been used on the existing fitting - remove this, clean the olive and refit the valve. Don't overtighten it - little tweaks at a time to see if you can get the seal. If not, then use ptfe!!! ;)

Cheers everyone. Received and understood.

Useful to know that the old olive might be re-usable; although I'm picking up vibes from some quarters that doing that is a bit of a bodge job. I'll check it out when I get the thing apart.

I'll persist with the outside stop-cock, but our street is under two inches of slush at present, which will probably freeze overnight. Since it isn't an emergency, lying full length on the pavement can wait for a better day. I'm getting too old for this sort of thing. ;)

Might be worth giving Anglian Water a call, (I assume you're in their area...), they may change the stoptap in the street for one of the new plastic versions FOC. These dont fill up with crud and are miles easier to turn off!

tought you was gonna say you've done it all

No, I'm not that quick! I wanted to see what people said before I went shopping. Plus, I have a tendency to talk too much and do too little. :confused:

Might be worth giving Anglian Water a call, (I assume you're in their area...), they may change the stoptap in the street for one of the new plastic versions FOC. These dont fill up with crud and are miles easier to turn off!

yes they will if you want to go on a water meter.

That thought had occurred to me too; I also suspect they'll only do it free if they are fitting a meter, though I haven't contacted them yet.

Hugh, I just worked out your screen name. :LOL:

On a different issue - how did you manage to use quotes from different posters in the same reply?

Copy 'n' paste:
- click "quote" on the first post, and copy it (don't click "submit", obviously)
- click "quote" on the second post, paste in your first quote and copy the lot (so now you have two quotes)
- repeat as necessary

On a different issue - how did you manage to use quotes from different posters in the same reply?

Copy 'n' paste:
- click "quote" on the first post, and copy it (don't click "submit", obviously)
- click "quote" on the second post, paste in your first quote and copy the lot (so now you have two quotes)
- repeat as necessary

I see - thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back