Replacing this -

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I suspect that this pump is broken, when I turn the power supply on it is buzzing and becoming very hot to touch.

How do I replace this, assuming the part, or substitute, is still available?

IMG_7313.jpeg

Sponsored Links
There are pump isolation valves either side, providing they turn off, then replace with a suitable replacement.

There are pump isolation valves either side, providing they turn off, then replace with a suitable replacement.
Looks a simple one on the face of it, I’m pretty good with plumbing.

Any ideas how to find a pump :)

Sponsored Links
First thing to do is to vent the pump and you can also see if the shaft turns. Simple , remove the big silver plug with a large screwdriver. Have a bit of paper etc to hand to catch the water that should then come out.

First thing to do is to vent the pump and you can also see if the shaft turns. Simple , remove the big silver plug with a large screwdriver. Have a bit of paper etc to hand to catch the water that should then come out.
Would be simple if the stupid valves worked - they’re still letting a small amount of water through.

Which leads me to ask, how do I drain the system? Not done one before.

Last edited:
if the stupid valves worked
Not uncommon for isolation valves to not work fully, especially tap style ones - they never get used and scale up with all sorts of cark internally. If you're draining, replace the valves too, and make a note to exercise them occasionally. Couple of times a year would be fine

Would be simple if the stupid valves worked - they’re still letting a small amount of water through.

Which leads me to ask, how do I drain the system? Not done one before.

You do not need to close the isolation valves. Just undo the large chrome, slotted screw, then try to turn the end of the motor shaft with the same screwdriver. It should turn easily, if not jammed with debris. If despite being jammed, you manage to free it - that's probably it fixed.

Expect some small amount of water to come out, once the screw is removed. .

You do not need to close the isolation valves. Just undo the large chrome, slotted screw, then try to turn the end of the motor shaft with the same screwdriver. It should turn easily, if not jammed with debris. If despite being jammed, you manage to free it - that's probably it fixed.

Expect some small amount of water to come out, once the screw is removed. .
It’s a constant stream mate - is there a way I can stop it?

I thought maybe it would stop but I’ve drained at least 2 pints off it, without it slowing at all.

It’s a constant stream mate - is there a way I can stop it?

I thought maybe it would stop but I’ve drained at least 2 pints off it, without it slowing at all.

You don't need to stop it, just catch it long enough to try turning the end of the shaft.

Load of black crappy water has come out, had to stop to get more newspaper to soak up spills though

Oh dear, not a well looked after system. The black is magnetite/ rust from the inside of your radiators....

It might be worth your while to, in the not to distant future, give the whole system a good flush out, until it runs clear. Then finally refill and make sure you add inhibitor, to help prevent the rust in future.

What’s the best way to drain a system like this? Is it a case of tying up the ballcock in the loft and then opening the lowest radiator?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back