Replacing toilet syphon - does size really matter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

The linking rod connecting the diaphragm of my syphon has sheared at the base. I'll need a new syphon but no-one seems to have the right size syphon and no chance of any deliveries/post at the moment due to heavy snow. I'm slightly confused about what size syphon I'll need and whether I could get away with a smaller one than the existing part - it's a single toilet house and I'm not sure I can wait until the snow melts!

Here's the details:
Derwent MacDee Metro toilet syphon (http://www.bes.co.uk/products/119a.asp#11666). Thank goodness it's a 2 part syphon!

Here's some pictures (you can see where the rod has sheared):

2010-12-01_18-34-49_733_Edinburgh.jpg

Distance from bottom of red cap to bottom of syphon: 11 inches. Syphon itself is marked with '1 litre'.

And here's the cistern (water-level is 8 inches deep)

2010-12-01_18-34-04_78_Edinburgh.jpg

Any tips about what to do next?

Sponsored Links
9" Dudley Turbo syphon should fit, but means disconnecting and removing cistern to do the job, unless your really good at diy plumbing, I would get someone in as it can be a sod of a job if screws bolts rusted, I would also fit a new filling valve at the same time if I was doing it, as the arms tend to fall off at the hinge point on the one shown.

you'll probably get away with a 9 if the water level is the correct height.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Don't really fancy taking the cistern off myself and getting a plumber at this time might be difficult given that they're probably inundated what with this weather.

Water level comes up to marked line in cistern so I'm guessing it's correct. Should I just go ahead and get a 9 inch and hope it works? I can get hold of a 9" replacement Derwent metro - plumb center said they've got it in stock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back