Replacing upstairs glass from inside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to replace a misted unit on an upstairs window. The window is hardwood and externally rebated. The problem I have is outside access to the window is difficult by ladder due to a sloping porch roof. The glass is 2m x 1.5 and heavy. Would it be possible to manipulate the glass through the opening from the inside by attaching suction pads and then pulling back into place. I would be able to access the window from the outside to replace the beading but would be unable to get the glass up from the outside. Any suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
ok lets look at potential problems

you need to remove the old unit how are you going to do that!!!!!

the unit will be heavy and a 2 or 3 person job
at some point half the weight off the window will be outside and approximatly 1m away

now perhaps with someone up a ladder it will work but at some stage they will have most of the weight

now i wouldnt fancy doing this job personaly but others may have better ideas :D ;)

Was planning on breaking glass out from inside. Problem is like you said the weight of glass going through to outside could be too heavy.Might be easier in long run to replace frame with upvc and glaze from inside. Thanks anyway!

steve.c said:
Was planning on breaking glass out from inside. Problem is like you said the weight of glass going through to outside could be too heavy.Might be easier in long run to replace frame with upvc and glaze from inside. Thanks anyway!

or get the experts to quote for installing the glass they will probably work off 2 ladders ;)

another option is a cherry picker!!!

Sponsored Links
Or ask some local independent scaffolder.... he might run you one up for a couple of hundred squid especially if he does it on his way home from work.

biffvernon said:
Cherry picker would be half that cost. Please don't die.

Cheery pickers / scissor lifts arent half the cost. They charge you 100 quid alone just for delivery/to take it away!!

Cherry picker sounds best idea. Will get some quotes and replace my facia boards while I am up there. Thanks all for advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back