Replacing wall mounted shower mixer tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing a wall mounted, shower mixer tap unit. When i took the old unit off, it fitted snugly into the connecting pipes and required a sharp tug to remove after undoing the holding nuts.

I have bought a new unit which stated that i needed pipes spaced at 150mm from the centres, which they are. However after fixing the new connection pipes there is a gap of about 20mm so the mixer unit cannot fit in tightly like before. This is i belive the reason why when i tighten the holding nuts the unit leaks very badly.

Any advise on what i can do? (other than perhas buy a new unit :)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Try some PTFE tape on the threads, or ideally buy a new one.

thanks, but unfortunatley the joints are already covered in the stuff.

May need washers on the ends of the pipes which come out of the wall. There are several types so it's hard for us to advise. Perhaps you can find a pic of what you have?

Sponsored Links
Managed to sort out the problem, i bought a load of washers to pack out the gap which has stopped the leak.

However i think the tap is badly manufactured because its states the hot and cold pipes should be centred at 150mm which they are, yet there is still this gap.

[/url]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back