Repurposing double glazing in the garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The wooden frame around my garage window is rotten, and the glass is cracked so I'd like to replace it. It's a prefab concrete slab style garage. The current window frame is 1220x800mm.
We're having the kitchen window replaced (upvc double glazing) as we're extending and the new window will be bigger. I measured the bottom pane of the kitchen window (just the glass, not the uPVC) and it's 1100x700. I was wondering how difficult it would be to construct a new timber frame and set the old kitchen pane into it? How would I go about doing this? How would I go about fixing the frame to the garage?
Any thoughts and ideas appreciated. It doesn't have to be immaculate as it's just a garage. It needs to be watertight and intruder proof above anything else.

Sponsored Links
Should be fairly simple to make up a frame to accommodate the glass, the concrete garage I used to have just used simple metal plates to secure frame to garage, just re-use if you have them.
You could use a thick timber bead on the outside held in with security screws to prevent removal. I use wire mesh across internal garage windows for extra security.

Thanks for that - I'm pretty new to this whole diy lark :)

I'm guessing it's a case of building the frame and then securing that to the garage, then fitting the window?

Do you build the frame separately and then fit to the garage, or can you sort of build it in situ as you go?

How do you stop the window from falling through? Do you bead on inside and out?

As you are going to save only the cost of the glass (presumably existing is single glazed) would it not be easier to just copy the existing?

Sponsored Links
I'm also saving the cost of the wood, as I have been given wood that is perfect for the job, but doesn't match what's already there.

Measure the opening and build a frame to fit, use timber beading inside and out.[Unless you have tools and skill to form a rebate]

Thanks for all the help with this. I finally got round to getting this sorted at the weekend. Needed a dry day with nothing else happening so that I could get it all done in a day (already had the frame itself constructed).

Ripped out the old frame and glad I did because a good chunk of it fell away in my hands. Fixed in the new frame - mostly with expanding foam! I even managed to make a sill! Ended up using glaziers' putty rather than beading. Mainly because the frame was slightly too shallow for the beading and the window, but partly because I love the smell!! :D

I'll post up pics later in the week if I remember. It won't win any prizes, but once it's painted (in a few weeks after the putty is set) it'll look the business and should last for ages.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back