Worth replacing 90s double glazing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My house has upvc double glazing from what looks like the 90’s, all externally beaded. Majority of the panes have now blown and wondering if there is any advantage of replacing the whole frames versus new glass panes. I’m having some rotten wooden frames replaced soon and was thinking maybe I should get the whole lot done.

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Lot cheaper to replace glass units than whole window, assuming the hinges/locks are OK and no water leaks.
Use a local glaziers not a Nationwide one (they will only be interested in flogging new ones) the last one I had replaced recently was around £100 for a 36" X 18" window.

External glazing got a bad name because on some very early ones the beads could be removed from outside, but all those are long gone. To remove normal external bars you have to first pull out the internal gasket to allow the panes to be pushed in and only then can the outer bead be removed.

. To remove normal external bars you have to first pull out the internal gasket to allow the panes to be pushed in and only then can the outer bead be removed.
I bl@@dy struggled for ages trying to get out an external bead not knowing this very very important bit of info

mind you getting the buggers back isnt always that easy.

Hi all

My house has upvc double glazing from what looks like the 90’s, all externally beaded. Majority of the panes have now blown and wondering if there is any advantage of replacing the whole frames versus new glass panes. I’m having some rotten wooden frames replaced soon and was thinking maybe I should get the whole lot done.

Many thanks in advance
Ive got some 1990s Upvc DG

Ive replaced all the downstairs now -its made a massive difference -theres no internal condensation and the rooms feel warmer

I also took out the locks and regreased, fully lubricated the friction stays and replaced the handles

once the white upvc was cleaned up, they came out looking really good

well worth doing

Sponsored Links
No water leaks at all, only one opener per window.

The bay windows have 5 panes 24”x44”, plus 5 smaller 24”x24” panes.

So from a thermal efficiency pov there is no difference?

Ive got some 1990s Upvc DG

Ive replaced all the downstairs now -its made a massive difference -theres no internal condensation and the rooms feel warmer

I also took out the locks and regreased, fully lubricated the friction stays and replaced the handles

once the white upvc was cleaned up, they came out looking really good

well worth doing
Thanks. Maybe I’ll get them to price changing all the glass instead. We spend too much on gas heating the place up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back