Reslating Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was wandering if anyone could offer me a little advice? I have a "Lean Too" Garage on the side of my House that was built around 4 years ago. The Builder said he was able to slate the roof so I allowed him to do it. Anyway, the Roof has never been water proof and has alway leaked. Over the years this has progressively got worse.

So I have decided to redo the roof myself! I can see why the roof leaks. Its because there is not enough overlap on the Slates. So the Water can get between the slates!

Underneath the slate is felt. I intend to replace this, possibly with Polythene (of the right grade). Would this be ok? I have also noticed that the Slates are nailed (one nail at the Top) straight onto the Roofing boards and not on wooden strips as I thought it should be.

Is it important to have these wooden strips? I was going to install them but won't if it's not necessary!

Any advice you could offer would be appreciated. I know I should get a proper roofer, but don't have the funds. I am quite handy and feel confident I could do this given the right adviice.

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Whereabouts in the UK are you? I believe there are some differences in practices between english and scottish.
In England, it's normally a breatheable membrane, slate lathe on top and then slates.
In Scotland, I believe it's normally a sarking of boards with the slates nailed into these.

I'm In Scotland.

So does that mean it is ok to nail the slates straightonto the "Sarking" (I assume this is the boarding that makes up the roof?)

Why are the techniques different to England and Scotland?

Thanks Again

I'm In Scotland.

So does that mean it is ok to nail the slates straightonto the "Sarking" (I assume this is the boarding that makes up the roof?)

I assume so, but TBH, I don't know if that is still the recommended method.

Anyone else?

Why are the techniques different to England and Scotland?

Again, TBH I don't know. I assume it's partly traditional and partly due to the differences in climate.
It's also a traditional method used in France, still used on renovations.

Anyone else?

Sponsored Links
Just having a look at the current code of practice (BS5534:2003 clause 5.2.6.6) it is fine to head fix directly to the sarking boards in Scotland though the slates need to be small enough and / or heavy enough to resist wind uplift

Thanks for your replies.

I guess it would be easier to fit them directly onto the Sarking.

What would you do?

If it's any help, I recently re-slated my roof in France, photos here:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=210516&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Against the locals advice (but not against BM's advice who didn't have a recommendation) I went for membrane, lathe and stainless steel hooks.
(You'll still need some pointed hooks for where the lathe crosses the rafters)

IMO, just as secure, if not more so than nails. Just as secure/weatherproof as sarking. More easily maintained in the future. Just as easy for climbing on for maintenance in the future.
Definitely easier to place/replace the slates. (mimimal hammering)
I installed over rafter insulation with counterbattens while I was at it.
I counterbattened on top of the membrane as well to prevent the hooks breaking through the membrane.

This is a link for slate hooks:
http://www.source4me.co.uk/store/st...al/100mm-batten-clip-slate-hooks/prod_60.html
You determine your overlap and space your lathes and buy the correct length of hook to fit.

Thanks for that.

It looks like a really nice Job you've done there! Hopefully I can make my Garage just as good!

allthough Im still undecided wether to go for the Lathe or not.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back