Resting joists on clay blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently renovating the new house before moving in and one job I want to do is strengthen the loft. It's a 1950s semi on an estate used as an experiment for different building techniques and materials. It's got a hipped roof, so my options are limited.

My plan was to put in stronger joists between the existing ceiling joists, resting on wall plates at the front and back and the spine wall in the middle.
I've got some suitable joists according to the trada tables but have come across a concern.
The spine wall upstairs is not built of solid brick with a wall plate on top; all the upstairs internal walls are made of hollow clay blocks with a line of bricks along the top upon which the ceiling joists rest.

Has anyone ever come across this before and would this wall be ok to support the new joists with notches cut out to sit level on the bricks? Would bolting the front and rear joists together significantly reduce the load on the spine wall?

The attached pictures are the type of block (laid with ribs horizontal) and the top of the wall in the loft.

Attachments

• IMG_20190208_115457.jpg
    IMG_20190208_115457.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_20190208_115016.jpg
    IMG_20190208_115016.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 222
Sponsored Links
Ours was like that but the hollow blocks were in poor condition so we pulled them down and built new walls from 4x2.

Are you planning a loft conversion?

Not a full conversion but an upgraded floor and a new trap door/ladder initially, then, funds and time permitting, I'll insulate the roof.

Ian, when you pulled the block wall down, did you support the ceilings either side and then build it up to support the joists again?
Have you converted your loft?

Sponsored Links
I pulled them out then took all the joist out to put bigger ones in. When I took them out the celilings stayed as they were. The hollow blocks were built up off timber, some accross under a few joists, some parallel with the joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back