Restoring brick fireplace - how to clean bricks?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
We have just found a beautiful brick fireplace under a layer of plaster in the 1880 Cottage that we just purchased. The bricks are extremely dusty, and many have a white-ish appearance even though they are red/orange bricks. We have tried cleaning them with water and an iron brush, but they still appear quite dusty. Does anybody have any good tips on how to clean old bricks?

Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
Not tried this one myself - but have you thought about rubbing the brick with another brick - one of the same type. I wouldn't use a wire brush, as it might make little grooves if your bricks are weak

You can buy Brick Cleaner from any builders supplies, try googling it.
I think we've covered this before on here so you could try the search facility

Daisy-lee`s idea sounds good to me ;) the orange bricks may be "red rubbers" which were indeed rubbed to create slips over windows....like when you get a slight arch and the bricks are tapered slightly :idea:

Sponsored Links
you can with common brick an comes up a treat , but accrington /glazed faced ,NO ...same with engineering bricks ,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back