Fireplace restoration help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, first time I've posted so hope this work. We have a Victorian mid-terrace house and we have decided to open the fireplace in the bedroom. When we moved in it was bricked up and the old fireplace removed. We have the idea of opening it just for show and keeping it as an open square. I have made good progress and found the top arch but there is no lintal there. Should there be? On the open place in the living room there is an iron bar under the brick arch and I was expecting the same in the bedroom. If we are just using it for cosmetic reasons do I need one? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
A properly constructed brick arch shouldn't need any additional reinforcement. What are your plans for the opening? By opening up the fireplace you have just created a nice 9"x9" hole in your bedroom, so there will be a good draught in there! If you decide to block the flue in some way, remember you will still need some ventilation for the flue otherwise you can expect to see condensation/dampness issues in time.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have just made a nice big hole but there doesn't seem to be much of a draft at the moment and the top of the pot is capped off. I have rough plans to put a cut slate floor in it and maybe fill it full of logs for show. I think it looks nicer than just a white wall with a vent as before. The pug is pretty shot, is it worth re-pointing? I guess its unlikely to fall apart?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back