Steps to install an open fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved into a 4 bedroom Edwardian house recently and would like to put a fireplace back in in the lounge. The fireplaces have all been removed years ago and boarded up.

I am a fairly competent DIY-er and would like to try and do the work myself.

Broadly the plan is to
1. Remove all the lining paper and plaster from the chimney breast
2. Carefully open up the fireplace and find the lintel or arch - if there is one
3. Fit a hearth and fireplace
4. Fit the fireplace
5. Fit the surround.

Is there any of that that I should get a professional builder or HETAS person to do? I'm not that concerned about building regs and I will get the chimney swept before installing.

One other question... Do I need to fit a fireback (see pic) behind the fireplace, or can I just install a reclaim fireplace without it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What about cleaning the chimney and making sure it's safe so you don't die of carbon monoxide poisoning. :?:

What about cleaning the chimney and making sure it's safe so you don't die of carbon monoxide poisoning. :?:

Yes - I will have it swept before installing the new open fire. There is an excellent draw and the chimney is in good condition.

Thought should also be given to lining the inside of the chimney from the bottom of the pot to fireplace.

Sponsored Links
Thought should also be given to lining the inside of the chimney from the bottom of the pot to fireplace.

Definitely hoping to avoid that, given the extra cost. We won't be using the fireplace often, and only ever for wood.

Is it likely it will need lining for that?

Your business entirely of course, but have you considered a wood or multifuel burning stove, together with a flue liner? Much more efficient!
Which ever route you choose, please ascertain that the existing chimney is in as good condition as you assume.
John :)

Definitely hoping to avoid that, given the extra cost. We won't be using the fireplace often, and only ever for wood.

Is it likely it will need lining for that?

Being an ex firefighter I have seen several Chimney fires turn into roof fires,
Especially when burning wood.

Better safe than sorry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back