Installation of 3 solid fuel fireplaces to replace existing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

We are currently renovating our 3 bed Victorian terraced house in London and are about to replace the fireplaces. There were 3 old 1970s fireplaces (lovely brown tiled things!) which we have now removed. We have had all of the chimneys swept and got the certificates and they are in good condition ready for solid fuel fires to be installed. My builder was going to do this himself but I did not realise until recently that you either need a HETAS registered installer (which he is not) or building regs consent to install fireplaces. The guy who swept the chimney said that a lot of people don't bother with this but i would rather get it all done legally (specially as it's to do with fires).

As a result my questions are as follows:

1) How much of the install has to be done by a HETAS installer? Presumably we can prepare the fireplaces, ensure the opening is exactly the right size etc (currently it's too large) and he can just come in and place the hearth and the insert/mantle which i'm guessing would be a very easy/quick/cheap (!) job?

2) We have wooden floors with constructional hearths already built in. The constructional hearths are the following sizes:

Fireplace 1: Constructional Hearth: 1100mm (width) x 425mm (depth) / Chamber: 559mm (width) x 719mm (height) / Proposed Hearth: 1370mm x 460mm
Fireplace 2: Constructional Hearth: 910mm (width) x 425mm (depth) / Chamber: 559mm (width) x 719mm (height) / Proposed Hearth: 1230mm x 460mm
Fireplace 3: Constructional Hearth: 950mm (width) x 410mm (depth) / Chamber: 559mm (width) x 719mm (height) / Proposed Hearth: 1230mm x 460mm

And we are looking at the following fireplaces:

1 x http://www.victorianfireplaces.com/crown-thornton-fireplace.html (fireplace 1)
2 x http://www.victorianfireplaces.com/pembroke-black-cast-iron-fireplace.html (fireplaces 2 & 3)

My question is does it comply with building regs to place the decorative hearths on top of the constructional hearths, as they are larger they will overlap the constructional hearths and the edges will sit above the surrounding wooden boards? From what i have read (eg http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/stove-hearth-size.html ) as long as the constructional hearth extends at least 150mm either side and 300mm in front then I think this is okay but I just wanted to make sure! I have included an example picture of one of the constructional hearths so you can see what they are like.

Thanks so much for any advice anyone can give!

Dave

Sponsored Links
he can just come in and place the hearth and the insert/mantle which i'm guessing would be a very easy/quick/cheap (!) job?

Don't know why you would think that.?
Get your hetas guy to take a look and he can answer your questions.

he can just come in and place the hearth and the insert/mantle which i'm guessing would be a very easy/quick/cheap (!) job?

Don't know why you would think that.?
Get your hetas guy to take a look and he can answer your questions.

I just thought that if everything was prepared with the opening exactly the right size etc and the chimney swept/ready for use then it'd just be a case of putting the heath/mantle/insert in place which i (perhaps naively!) thought wouldn't be too time consuming! The price for my builder is all in, including installing fireplaces so i'm trying to get him to do as much of the work as possible so i can get a HETAS person to install them as cheaply as possible! But legally of course :) Thanks for your help, Dave

Sponsored Links
So does anyone know the situation with building control with regard to the constructional hearths vs decorative hearths by any chance?

Thanks so much,

Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back