How to fit a black slate fireplace hearth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi- I'm fitting a three piece black slate hearth to an existing domestic 1960's 14in hearth fireplace (old tile fireplace/ hearth removed). There is a solid concrete bed under the old tile hearth. It will be an open fire burning solid fuel. Could anyone please confirm the following/ help with the following?
1. The back hearth is loose rubble. I believe this should be 4 parts sharp sand to 1 cement, but on what foundation, and to what depth?
2. I believe I then need glass fibre rope for expansion between the superimposed hearth- but what diameter rope, and what depth?
3. I will be raising the slate an inch or so. Is a normal wet sand cement say 4:1 appropriate?
5. Is there a standard expansion gap between the slates, and what should this be filled with?
Thanks very much for any help!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back