Fireplace Hearth Repair / Replacement..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI Guys,

Looking for some advice if possible with regards to a 1960's original fireplace hearth...

We are having a new logburnner fitted in the chimney recess and I am not sure what to do with the existing battered and bruised hearth that extends into the room and meets the floorboards.

We are going to have a new decorative slate hearth fitted to the fireplace area with the log burner obviously going on top. Problem is, the existing hearth is very uneven and actually sits proud of the floorboards in various spots...

So my question is, am I better of removing this concrete hearth and installing something else for the slate to sit on? Or am I likely to be opening a can of worms if I do that and perhaps better of working with the existing hearth and trying to level it off ready for the new slate to sit directly on top?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks all for reading.

Attachments

• 30153611-db81-4a93-9ff2-cb81b07f21b2.jpg
    30153611-db81-4a93-9ff2-cb81b07f21b2.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 122
Sponsored Links
Hi,

Is the slate hearth going to be installed by you, or the burner fitters?
The hearth would normally be laid on a bed of mortar to ensure heat is spread evenly to the existing floor.
The mortar would take up some of the imperfections, but if fitters are installing it, they may have an opinion?

I think it's worth trying to reduce the high spots on your existing hearth. You could try and attack them with a hammer and chisel and see what happens (using an FFP3 mask may be a good idea!). If you don't get very far, that starts to narrow down your choices!

I hope that makes sense :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back