Installing a living flame Gas Fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm looking for some advice on installing a living flame gas fire (B&Q panoramic fireplace). I am intending to carry out all the building work and then get a CORGI registered worker in to connect it up. It is an inset fireplace so it sits right in below the chimney. I pulled out the horrible old 1970's brick fireplace and have pulled out the bottom of the flue and other bits and peices of the old hearth. The opening is now bigger than my fireplace surround so I have to build up the excess area. Do I need to use special bricks and Mortar and what kind of Lintel/Beam should I use to build over? Any other advice or warnings would also be appreciated. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Best check the heat output of the fire before you part with any money.
Some of these living flame fires can be as little as 3.2kw,if you get one of them you will freeze.i woudnt go below 5kw minimum.
good luck.

It's 2.7 Kw max, but should be OK as an addition to CH.
More of a focal point than a heating solution

looking at the same model myself, or that dish / bowl they do- inset in to something similiar.

My fire place was also a 70's brick,- pulled it out but the brickwork inside is in a bad state- plus was partly reduced with bricks, so those will have to go.

I was just going to motar up around the bricks- and fit the insert?

No expert- so James I'm not actually giving you advice, rather looking for
more input from others.

---
Notice B&G charge £500- £750 to fir a fireplace? Plus guess they then come up with more remedial work on the flue etc..

Sponsored Links
When I spoke to B&Q they quoted way over that amount (around £1200) because I had to do some basic structural work to increase the size of the opening. It is a very attractive fireplace though so I feel that it is worth the effort. If I make the opening good I reakon I'll get someone to fit it for around £300.

When I pulled my old fireplace out I actualy knocked through to next doors fireplace. By very good fortune they had bricked theirs up but I could see in their air brick! So be very carefull. I expected more than one course of bricks between properties! Its sorted now and they'll never know unless they decide to open it up again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back