Fireback and gas fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to get a gas safe plumber/engineer to install a magiglo custom 16 natural gas fire - this is a tray with a fire bed of vermiculite and the coals and aeration tubes arranged on top. It will go in the fireplace behind a fender (in fact it came with the fender and fireplace).

The chimney sweep has confirmed our chimney is fine, but he mentioned there was no fireback (chairbrick, as he called it - I think this means fireback?). The fireplace is brick, but the back of the fireplace seems to be concrete or mortar.

What I need to know is whether or not I need to install a fireback, or whether this fireplace is suitable for this kind of fire.

Many thanks indeed.

Sponsored Links
This type of decorative fire doesn`t usually need a firebrick,but your gas safe engineer will be able to tell you better for your specific fire.

I hope you don`t expect to get much heat from this fire as they are usually barely 20% efficient.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back