Rubble behind fireback

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Opening up a previously boarded up fireplace in the bedroom. Plan is to just keep it as an opening, i.e. not install a new fire.

I've removed the plasterboard, wood covering and fireback. But behind the fireback is a load of bricks and rubble, I think forming a base for the slope up to the flue.

I've attached pictures of it - you can see to the left the point that the 'proper' bricks for the chimney stack are. Am I ok to continue to remove all the material in the middle? I'm fairly sure I am, but first time doing this so wanted to be sure! thanks.

Attachments

• fireplace close up.jpeg
    fireplace close up.jpeg
    245.9 KB · Views: 118
  • fireplace.jpeg
    fireplace.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 107
Sponsored Links
Sorry to necro but did you ever find out if it was okay? We're in the same position as you.

Sponsored Links
Start new thread with photos.
I guess I could do but I didn't feel there was much need when there was a question already going that had obviously found a solution by now.
Most forums and their users will tell you to "Use the search feature" when you ask a question that has been answered multiple times. ‍♂️

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back