Replacing a clay fireback of a Victorian fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many years ago the original fireback of a Victorian cast iron tiled insert fireplace was replaced by a clay type. The front part is still in place behind a marble surround. However, the clay fireback has badly cracked and started to breakdown and thus it needs replacing.

I have a few questions about replacing the fireback.

Should the fireback be cemented onto the hearth (sealing the base)/into place or does it just sit on the concrete hearth?
Is there any form of sealing between the fireback and cast iron insert where they butt up against each other?
What should be used to in fill the void behind the fireback or can I re-use what is already there?
How do you finish off the in fill that is placed behind the fireback, a weak or strong mortar mix for example, can it be normal sand cement or fireplace/high temperature specific?

I need to do this work in conjuction with replacing the hearth tiles, would it be a good idea to raise the level of the hearth so that it is at the same height of the new tiles that need laying, if it is a good idea or if I need to repair any damage should I use a normal mortar mix or does it have to be fireplace/high temperature specific?

If there is any other information that I should take on board that I haven't asked about please advise.

Thanks for all the help.

Jules

Sponsored Links
Jules - go to:
www.castironfires.com
and check out their backs & dampers section for the bits you'll need to restore yours. Also all the materials you'll need (fire cement, etc) you'll be able to get from them.

As an alternative you could also think about clearing the old clay back out, opening up the space and installing a standalone CI firebasket behind your fireplace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back