Possible to replace backplate/hearth as a DIYer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I really want to remove our backplate, hearth and mantelpiece and replace with something to be bought from Ebay (i.e. I am trying to do this without spending a lot of money). However, I am struggling.
Our fire opening is quite small (it is an open fireplace with a cast iron firebasket). There is a clay fireback, which is cemented in with about 2inches cement all around the fire opening. Sticking fingers in here and there, I can find what appears to be a rope, which is presumably some sort of fire retardant cushioning between the clayback and the wall.
Removing the marble backplate would, I think, cause the cement to come away too.
If I removed it all, and then attempted to replace the backplate/hearth without any professional help, is it actually going to be dangerous in any way if I don't get the cementing right etc?
Thank you v much for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Can you take a picture and a clue to what you plan to put there ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back