Restoring cast iron fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a wonderful Victorian tiled cast iron fire. Unfortunately the metalwaork has obviously had quite a few layers of gloss paint slapped on over the years as the detail can now only just be seen. It's quite heavy but not installed so I can take it outside though its too big to transport.

I read one post about taking the Nitromors route to stripping it back to bare metal but wondered if anyone had any alternative suggestions such as sandblasting. Can one protect the tiles whilst sandblasting? Is it a job for a DIYer and if so any idea where to get hold of some kit. If not, and its better than chemical stripping can anyone recommend someone? Or do I take it outside and slap on the Nitromors?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
For cleaning something like that, shot blasting is the ideal way, its slightly maor harsh than sand blasting. Id imagine the tiles could be covered or maybe even removed? foir the blasting process.

Find a local shot/sand blasters, they will probably have experience of doing many many similar items.

After the blasting, something like Liberon iron paste could be ideal, for a very traditional finish.

though its too big to transport.

I? Or do I take it outside and slap on the Nitromors?

Thanks in advance.
Well I took a wc cistern to a local shot blaster and they wanted £30 :eek: @ their premises - and that`s nowhere near London . Get the nitromors out ;) Protect yourself well and do it outsde in a gentle breeze and not too hot - that stff and it`s fumes are :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back