Stripping cast iron radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The central heating in my new flat uses cast iron radiators. I'd like to have them stripped for that lovely 'gunmetal' finish and wondered if anyone has any tips. Should I get them dipped or sandblasted and then oiled or burnished? Anyone know someone that can do it (in London area)?

Sponsored Links
The best way to do it is take them out, put some old clothes on and nitromores them,wire brush then pressure wash or hire a portable sand blast them until clean and finish off with hammerite paint if you want the "dappled "look. I'll have em off you if you wanna get rid of them :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I'd thoroughly recommend Peel-Away. You paste this stuff on like tile adhesive and wait for 24 hours after which all the paint (up to 30 coats apparently) just peels off. Worked wonders for me. :) You will have to check around your better wholesalers to get it though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back