Trouble cleaning/polishing a cast iron fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have stripped the white gloss paint from my Victorian cast iron fireplace, using paint stripper, and followed all advice about what to do then about maintaining it in its unpainted state. Despite applications of white spirit, wire wool, wire brush, metal polish and hours of buffing, and now a blackening paste followed by more hours of rubbing with soft cloths, I can't get rid of a greasy residue, like a black film that stains my fingers to the touch and rubs off on clothes and anything else that comes into contact with it. Is this normal or am I not doing something I should? Could I not have perhaps removed everything that might have been applied to it? What's causing this? I can't get the metal to a silvery burnish that I see on the photos, but it remains a dullish black. I'd really appreciate your thoughts, as I don't want to paint it after all that work removing paint from it.

Sponsored Links
You may have put too much on(?)

I know I did with my stove and was quite smokey once lit but does faded out in time

I had a similar problem with a radiator ( cast iron column, Victorian ). I remember blackleading my gran`s stove when I was a nipper and that was fine :confused: I agree that heat is needed followed by more polishing with clean cloths . I ran a blowlamp over the rad and it seemed to help -maybe try a heat gun :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back