Stripping Cast Iron fire surrounds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a lovely old Cast fire surround to strip and wanted to know peoples view on which process to to use, the last one i did i had shot blasted as i thought a dry process had to be used to stop it from rusting immediately but have since found several people (including a shop) who have theirs dipped, this would be cheaper and easier for me to have done-is there any reason not to dip? Thanks B

Sponsored Links
Depends what paint is on it. Blasting will get everything off, dipping will get it all off depending on what has been put on it in the first place.
If you want to leave it in place, then nitromors it

Mr - either will work. If it has very intricate designs on the surface then with dipping the paint will tend to 'stick' there in corners & undercuts and will need to be locally picked away. The dipped item is neutralised by hoseing off with water (these days pressure washing); it's this wetting that might encourage mild surface rust. This is nothing to worry about as the surface should be wirebrushed before the immediate application of 'black lead' (Zebo or similar).

Bead blasting is the preferred method 'cos it's quick, the 'blast' can get to all the awkward places and there's no surface wetting/rusting issues. One slight problem with blasting (if the design is very intricate) is the over-zealousness of application which might 'blunt' the design.

What ever method you use get the Zebo on quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back