Restoring staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just started a project that involves the restoration of an old staircase in our 1890's terraced house.

The staircase has been boxed in for almost 40 years, hiding the old spindles and newel posts.

Here's a photo of one of the boards taken off:

Here's a photo of the newel post (which has unfortunately been cut off) and the spindles:

Now to the issue I need advice on. I'm not sure what to do with the side of the staircase. I can't really tell if there's been an open string here and it's been cut down or not.

Here's a photo:

Do you think I should just fill and sand the side down then paint it? The other idea I had was to put some half round mouldings on the side of each step to imitate an open string, but not sure how good that would look.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit: Just realised I've posted this in the wrong forum. Really sorry! Maybe someone could please move it?

Sponsored Links
im no expert but it looks like they were originally open string and they were cut flush to fit on the box work. the ends look rough so I would suggest first trying as you say a bit of molding if you can find the right size, or at the very least a good sanding.

Thanks for the reply BeryUK. Yes I think it must have been open string.

My latest plan is to cut MDF board and cover everything apart from the side of the tread up and put a bit of moulding on the side of each tread.

Will try to sand it a bit first though as it's really rough.

Will post pictures of the progress in case someone's interested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back