Restoring Victorian cottage staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to restore the Victorian staircase in my home as the treads are cracked, worn and not level.

I took the facade off under the stairs and the stairs have been built in a manner I’m not familiar with. As you might be able to make out there is a message from a long gone carpenter saying ‘Repaird in 1876’ so these stairs have been there a while. I would like to save as much of the original stairs as possible.

It seems the treads are just nailed to the risers with no notch in the treads. I’m surprised it’s managed to stay together this long (if the message is legit). The stringers are just a straight length of timber and it appears the treads have dropped as the edges have worn where they’ve rubbed against the stringers.

I was thinking to drive some long wedges between the back of the treads and the stringers to re-level them, then reinforce the treads with 18mm ply. Also, reinforce the risers and add glue blocks. Basically rebuild a ply skeleton of the stairs from below.

Then to cut away the timber that has worn on the top front edge of the treads from a million footsteps and glue in some new timber, cut and sanded to look original.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• C6AFB6B9-3519-4A45-B66A-7F89DF3EA07D.jpeg
    C6AFB6B9-3519-4A45-B66A-7F89DF3EA07D.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 60
  • AD1B005F-9CA6-4371-B991-A8A7FB5CCDDD.jpeg
    AD1B005F-9CA6-4371-B991-A8A7FB5CCDDD.jpeg
    209 KB · Views: 69
Sponsored Links
Looks like you are taking a step in the right direction!

Well my stairs looked similar to this, but were better put together, stringer etc.

What I will say, is get the hot air gun out, and sander, and the treads will probably come up a treat, mine did, used hard wax oil finish and I clad the risers in thin plywood and painted them.

Although a bit long-winded, wondering if you could make cardboard templates to size and make triangular blocks to go under the steps, screwed to wall (keep under stringer intact).

Be a pity to over clad them all, if the wood comes up well.

Good luck (y)

Sponsored Links
Well my stairs looked similar to this, but were better put together, stringer etc.

What I will say, is get the hot air gun out, and sander, and the treads will probably come up a treat, mine did, used hard wax oil finish and I clad the risers in thin plywood and painted them.

Although a bit long-winded, wondering if you could make cardboard templates to size and make triangular blocks to go under the steps, screwed to wall (keep under stringer intact).

Be a pity to over clad them all, if the wood comes up well.

Good luck (y)

Thanks, not a bad idea, could be pretty quick with hammer fixings.

Yeah, don’t want to lose them if at all possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back