Restoring wooden floorboards - what price would you expect?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone.

We have a couple of rooms with old carpet which have potentially nice looking floorboards underneath just waiting to be brought out into the open. One of the rooms the boards are quite black (see pic) and will need work whereas the other are just a little darker and unpresentable due to age.

I am in the process of contacting a few companies but I wondered what sort of cost you would expect to do a job like this? The rooms are 4.6 x 3.2 and 2.4 x 2.4 and we are based in Exeter.

Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• IMG_20210729_113631424.jpg
    IMG_20210729_113631424.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 56
Sponsored Links
It depends to what level.
You've got £100 sander £100 varnish and somewhere between 2 and 4 days depending how much remedial wok needed.

I suspect you are looking at around £1,200 - £1,500

Is the floor void insulated/vented? Are happy for a gale to blow up your trousers when the heating is on? If not you need the boards filled too.

probably cheaper to remove them, insulated under the floor, and put down new ones! Although with the price of wood these days ...

Thanks to you both, doesn't sound like a decent option at this rate. Might have to go back to the idea of replacement carpet in that case.

Sponsored Links
You can get nice laminate these days. I have laminate boards on top of my knackered 1930s floorboards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back