Retrofit a moisture barrier/insulation to tin roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

our new to us house had a badly leaking asbestos roofed detached double garage so as this space was/is to become my manshed/workshop and I urgently needed it to chuck all my stuff in, I paid a local guy to take the old roof off and fit tin roofing.

I'm now getting really bad condensation and from reading around I understand that this is an age-old problem with no magic solution.

So, given I've already paid for a new roof, what's my best option for a retrofit fix?

I've read about polythene barriers but these seem to need to be applied when the roofing is? I had thought Kingspan between the stanchions? But this sounds expensive and I'm not too fussed about the heat retention, I just want the coating of water off the inside.

What about spray on foam kits like this? Sounds like the prefect option. Is it? Anything I should consider?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
actually, that spray stuff is bloody expensive, given it's a large double garage it'll cost a fortune to use.

Going back to the Kingspan idea, if i fit between the stanchions and batton, assuming I try and make it a pretty good fit should I get rid of the internal condensation?

You can get kingspan in 2400x1200x25mm I would buy one sheet cut it to size and then stick it to the tin roof with a water proof mastic like stixall by everbuild and see how get on.

Sponsored Links
I know its too late but Ive been doing garage roofs in profiled sheets for a while now.

He should have quoted for anti-condensation sheets - the ones with the fleece backing,

so some material will need fixing to the underneath. maybe polystyrene?

Craig

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back