Reusing decking in the loft....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to board part of our loft after adding more insulation, but in a separate project I'm taking up a vast expanse of ugly decking from the garden. Can I reuse the decking boards in the loft?! Or is decking much heavier than chip board? And will it cope with loft temperatures?

I'm thinking of using loft legs, with decking planks across, then lining up the decking on top. And screwing it all down obviously.

That, or I may have a load of T+G floorboards I could use... Always looking to save a few pennies!

Sponsored Links
Decking will be heavier, and may import into the loft rot or similar problems that were dormant in the weather outside but could flourish in a warm loft.

I'd spray it all first with some wood treatment, for what Bernard suggests. Might already be fungus and mould waiting to grow on it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, I hadn’t thought of what might be growing or waiting to grow on the decking. The weight gives me the heeby jeebies a bit too, since the house already has concrete tiles where there was originally slate. I’ll go with the floorboards if they end up too damaged to re-lay thanks to the rasping nails holding them down... otherwise it’ll be regular chipboard going up there.
Much appreciated, ta!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back