Rick Parfitt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Next Saturday I was meant to be seeing Status Quo at the Wembley Pavillion... I figured that I had to see at least one classic rock act, and as tickets seem to be priced "per chord", Status Quo seemed like an economical choice.

But now Rick Parfitt (the blond one) is possibly afflicted with cancer of the larynx. I'm miffed that the gig is cancelled (understandable, in the circumstances). Hopefully it will all work out for the best, I hope it turns out to be a benign lump.

But it makes me think back to the whole George Best thing. He had what was verging on a state funeral at Stormont, which I understand was televised.

Yet great musicians, when they die, seem to have little more than a passing mention in the news. For example, John Entwistle (The Who) died in Las Vegas, on tour, whilst off his nut on cocaine, in bed with a groupie, aged 57, and there was barely a mention. He even did a lot of work for "chaaaariddy". Legendary musician, and whilst I agree it's not big or clever to die in such a fashion, it does currently place him as the last of a bygone era.

But a man who was more famous for his alcoholism than his football gets a Stormont funeral... And if he was such a valued son of NI why had he lived in England for so long?!

Sponsored Links
I don't think you could call Parfitt a great musician even in a fit. John Meatwhistle wasn't much better.

Now Georgie? There was an icon.

All the world loves a circus.

joe

joe-90 said:
I don't think you could call Parfitt a great musician even in a fit. John Meatwhistle wasn't much better.

I agree that Parfitt isn't a great musician, but do you actually know who John "Ox" Entwistle was?! :eek: Presumably you know what a "virtuoso" is: well, he was regarded as one! :LOL:

Which means it isn't even a matter of taste: he is one of the few rock musicians whose ability can not really be denied. You might not like The Who, but can you honestly argue that he was not an absolutely amazing bass player?! :confused:

I have never heard a bad recording of him. Most musicians, even great ones, you will hear the odd live recording where they are totally out of shape that night. But Entwistle was a bass god!

I've seen plenty of film of him playing, he had that mark of a true legend: from the neck up, look of complete disinterest. From the elbow down, you would need a high-speed camera to figure out what he is actually doing!

So, even if you don't like The Who (and that is fair enough), I would be interested to hear your reason for thinking Entwistle isn't a great musician.

I was being unfair to him. I used to have 'Live at Leeds' at one time.

I still rate Jack Bruce higher, mind.

joe

Sponsored Links
John Entwhistle wasnt a great whatever and the Who were totally overated but anything they did do is overshadowed by the perv with the big nose who should have stuck to fiddling his guitar.

Dirt like that wont wash off!

Best was a unique skill but burnt out young just as a lot of Rock stars have.

If he was a great star or artist then he would be remembered after his death for what we have missed---Time will tell on Bestie but Entwhistle? WHO??--forget it !

I don't think The Who were over-rated, but I do take Freddies point in general. Music is a personal thing, what some people think is great or almost godly, others think is total rubbish...

Sports skill is another matter. Yes Bestie was a **** head and the way he has been elevated to almost godlike status I find distasteful, however no-one can deny his genius with a football. For more than a decade he wowed the world with his skill, he wasn't alone in that skill, but he did manage to do it a certain degree of flair. You don't have to like football, and I don't, to appreciate and applaud that talent and skill.

So on that basis comparing Musicians and sports personalities is like comparing chalk and cheese...

GB was 'Roy of the Rovers', but slight of frame, he was fearless with a massive heart, one of his great gifts was that of 'balance', make no mistake there were defenders out there prepared to c r ip ple (Censored?? Crip' as in cause to lose the use of a limb or limbs.) their opponent, GB faced 'em all down ... I bet I know who fretted most before a big match ... George? he'd be knocking off the odd Miss World.
I guess the younger generation only know of the drinking ...
Value For Money, not easy to come by, GB gave it in spades.
:D :D

AdamW said:
John Entwistle (The Who) died in Las Vegas, on tour, whilst off his nut on cocaine, in bed with a groupie, aged 57
Surely he could have found one younger than that?

Yes I thought that.

But I think it is VITALLY important where Adam placed his comma, and that he did put it in the right place.

Big_Spark said:
Sports skill is another matter.

I dunno... you can score lots of goals but be a bad sportsman. With a game like football you have the RULES of the game but you also have the SPIRIT of the game, surely? You must obey the first or you'll never be on the pitch long enough, but surely to be a great player you should also consider the second.

As I've never been interested in football I can't give any examples, however in a sport I am partial to: M Schumacher was/is a driver who can win races, but he's not a great driver because he has done some very dishonourable things to win some of those races. :confused: So I would not say he is a great sportsman.

George Best could score, dribble and shoot.

He wasn't bad on the footy field either.

joe

Cream, excellent band!

well said ..... :)

stood well above the prog lot of the day

Sponsored Links
Back