Ring Main Circuit Route in Floor Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A new build property with 100mm thick Jablite installed in the floor, this will be followed by a further 75mm of Jablite backed flooring.

Is there any reason why at the floor installation stage ie in the 100mm Jablite, that a flexible gaine/conduit could be channelled for the ring main cable, the cable would not come into contact with the Jablite.

Cheers Mick.

Sponsored Links
Hello BAS.

The flexi conduit would be 25mm and I suspect 2.5mm cable, it would be down to the 'Sparks' when the job is advanced to that stage later in the year.

If there is an issue with routing through the Jablite in flexi I would abandon the idea, on the face of it, it seems to make sense rather than chasing down the walls to the sockets.

Cheers Mick.

Sponsored Links
if cable passes through insulation, the heat which is generated as an electric current passes through, can't get away, so they are liable to overheat and must be downrated (i.e. you need a thicker cable which is much more expensive and difficult to work with in ordinary sockets)

If you run them in the concrete floor they will be OK, 50mm or more below the surface. Try to run the conduit with access boxes or bends in case you want to change the cable in future. We had someone recently who had a cooker island in the middle of his kitchen and wanted to take a lighting circuit to it after the floor had been laid.

if cable passes through insulation, the heat which is generated as an electric current passes through, can't get away, so they are liable to overheat and must be downrated (i.e. you need a thicker cable which is much more expensive and difficult to work with in ordinary sockets)

If you run them in the concrete floor they will be OK, 50mm or more below the surface. Try to run the conduit with access boxes or bends in case you want to change the cable in future. We had someone recently who had a cooker island in the middle of his kitchen and wanted to take a lighting circuit to it after the floor had been laid.

Hi JD. The mention of 6mm was enough to abort the idea, of course I could employ a mechanical means of forced air ventilation through the flexi and stick with 2.5mm :LOL: I acknowledge the insight of 2.5mm to 6mm.
Cheers Mick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back