Rips in roof felting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I was up in the loft at the weekend and noticed a number of rips in the roof felt. Some of which go under beams. Is it possible to repair these? As it is tight between tile and beam so I can't slide anything under.

Felt looks in generally bad state with a quite a few rips / holes, feels brittle and places where the felt has slipped and caused a gap between the layers. So I think not far off needing replacing as others on the street have done recently.

I also found some leaks which have run down the beams and looks like it has come from the ridge tiles. After inspecting outside I think it needs repointing.

So I'm in two minds whether to get the ridge tiles repointed and patch the felt as best I can or if its new roof time. Thinking aloud..

ICXCByF.jpg

Sponsored Links
The felt is shot and the rafters on the way to wet rot. Time for a re-roof

What kind of tiles do you have?

Not too sure. Concrete? Here is a picture. It is a late 60's house I believe.

O7WXou8.jpg

The felt is shot and the rafters on the way to wet rot. Time for a re-roof

Yes I think you are most likely right. I plan on selling in the next year or two so its a bit bad timing. But if it needs doing then not really a way around it. From what I can see the leaks come from the ridge, run down the rafters and most likely getting under the felt.

Sponsored Links
You could replace the membrane and use the existing tiles if there is still life in them. That will save quite a bit

Thank you. I'll get some roofers around in the New Year and see what they recommend / get some prices.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back