Rising damp caused by cracked gully

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I have recently brought my first home. I have noticed I am getting rising damp on the back external and internal wall. I have noticed the concrete has cracked and eroded around a clay gully where the kitchen sink waste water goes. The hole appears to be full of water. There is also a air vent which is pretty much at ground level. Are these the causes of the damp issue? Will i have to dig it up and have it repaired or would a concrete patch up job do the trick? Any help will be much appreciated! I have also attached a few pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_20230226_152948.jpg
    IMG_20230226_152948.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG-20230226-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20230226-WA0003.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG-20230214-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20230214-WA0005.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG-20230214-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20230214-WA0003.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 90
Sponsored Links
Take out the grid from the gulley, get a plastic one and extend the waste pipe so it discharges under the grid but above the water level(y)

Sponsored Links
What would you suggest in regards to the cracked concrete is it worth digging it up and inspecting?

Are these the causes of the damp issue? Will i have to dig it up and have it repaired or would a concrete patch up job do the trick?

Yes

Yes

No

Also

Look for the original DPC. Mark it on your photo or highlight it with chalk.

Your paving is most likely too high against the wall.

The ground levels have been raised a lot - the original level would be around the level of the gully grid. When a new patio is fitted, the cheapest quote will usually include the least digging out they can get away with. Over time, you end up with a triple sandwich of patio or more.
You may find a good opportunity to lower the levels next time you redo the paved area, at the cost of an extra skip and a couple more days labour.

Thanks guys. Will have a look and see if I can find the original DPC. Will post pictures soon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back