rising damp?....totally confused!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi hope someone can help........I own a Victorian terrace house that has been rented out for the past 2.5 yrs. The tenant has not taken very good care of the property and it needs gutting!
Just before the tenant moved in I had the damp course 'repaired' in the front living room and the dining room along a connecting wall (to other house) and where two chimney breasts are situated. The problem however has not been fixed and the damp has spread along an interior dividing wall.
The interior dividing wall separates the living and dining room and is only damp on the living room side. on this side the floor is wooden floor boards, on the other its concrete. It is the entire length of the wall and shows a mark approx. 25cm up the wall. The chimney breast walls in each room still show signs of damp with the dining room being worse affected. There is evidence of salt penetration and paint peeling along and above the where the plaster was removed when the damp course was done 2.5yr ago.
I have had two different companies out for advice and quotes yet they have both said different things and suggested different methods.......
the first suggested injecting the wall (there is evidence of injecting previous to my purchase around the front bay window) and plastering to front living room stating the damp was rising and spreading along the interior wall due to the position of the new damp course. They stated that the salt tide mark could be penetrating damp possibly caused from next door. he also noted an area of damp next to the stairs on an interior wall which he claimed was off the scale damp and stated its from the break down of slate under the brick work?
the second suggested knocking the plaster off all affected walls and laying a membrane then plastering. he claimed this would stop any further problems but want to charge £800? :eek:
after reading the debate on rising damp im unsure as to what to do? if its not rising damp what could the cause be and how can I fix it?
has anyone else had and fixed this problem?
thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back