Risk to fence when removing bushes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

The overgrown bushes in the pictures have been up for ages. They completely cover (and protect) our neighbour’s fence. Some of the bushes produce flowers for a few months a year, but they’re a horrible eyesore. Er indoors has agreed to them being removed or dramatically cut back. (Will also allow us to reclaim about 2m of our patio?

I’ll probably end up getting someone to do it, as have various health issues.

Is it better to wait until autumn/winter to mitigate risk of pulling fence down? (The fence is feather edge and built quite a few years ago)

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• 6B9B2973-3321-4517-800D-628B7A7219F2.jpeg
    6B9B2973-3321-4517-800D-628B7A7219F2.jpeg
    452.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 21E59AED-D510-4B8E-A400-32903F1D680B.jpeg
    21E59AED-D510-4B8E-A400-32903F1D680B.jpeg
    281.4 KB · Views: 110
Sponsored Links
Longshanks, good evening.

Fence? what fence.:cautious::confused::(

OK I would wait until there is a die back of the shrubbery it will be easier to remove.

Are all the shrubs roots in your Garden?

Have you discussed these proposals with your neighbour? high probability some vegetation, if it started on your side has forced its way through the fence?

Suggest a really heavy trim back leaving some greenery.

Question? any Sparrows calling the shrubs home??

Ken.

Sponsored Links
Hi

1. Do you know likely best time for “die back”?
2. Not sure if all shrubs rooted in our garden.
3. Not discussed with neighbours. Bit complicated-house not sold, but empty for about 5 years. (They had to move to look after one of the parents, who has dementia. If he has to go into care, they’ll need to sell that house and move back here) I know them fairly well and can contact via Facebook.
4. Definitely sparrows. I forgot about them. I absolutely love them, chirping all day. Would be sorry to see them go, but we have trees at the end of the garden…

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back