Rockwool RW3 between joists sufficient heat insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just started a project to pull down several old ceilings (lath & plaster) in a Victorian house and insulate due to sound problems from the flat above. See pic.
I'm using 100mm slabs of Rockwool RW3 which has a Lambda value (Thermal conductivity) of 0.034 W/mK which is good.
Most of the areas between the joists have the wooden floor of the flat above so no real point of adding more insulation . Around the edges of all the rooms however is open to the eaves above. In these areas I'm considering adding more insulation over the top of the joists as I gather the current recommendation is 270mm thickness.

Is it worthwhile given the good lambda value of the RW3?

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1e6c.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1e6c.jpeg
    214.7 KB · Views: 560
Sponsored Links
I would also see if you could fit RW3 to the vertical wall that I assume is present where the floor stops.
If the wall is simple plasterboard or single skin brick, it may allow sound to enter the void.

friends of mine had a chalet style house and could hear their neighbours in the garden while lying in bed. They had an uninsulated short wall under a sloping ceiling on each side of the bedroom. I helped insulate the crawl space so that the crawl space wall was insulated, and then the crawl floor.
it vastly decreased the noise issue.

Interesting point, didn’t consider insulating that. The flat above is currently being sold & is empty, maybe I should get the new buyer to pay for it seeing as it would benefit them & keep their flat warmer!
Question remains though whether to add some cheap fibreglass roll (e.g. 170mm) on top of the RW3 given the good Lambda value of the RW3.
Better photo attached

Attachments

• DE4F1C78-32D5-4549-B959-28A6564A83C5.jpeg
    DE4F1C78-32D5-4549-B959-28A6564A83C5.jpeg
    255.5 KB · Views: 306
Just a minor point, but fibre glass is nowhere near as good a sound insulator as mineral wool

Sponsored Links
For sound insulation I have specified some of the products made by Quietex they manufacture a load of good stuff.

in general terms for sound insulation you need "mass" the Georgians and Victorians used deafening, which was ash from fires placed between the joists. and contained by any scrap timber resting on timber bearers nailed to the joists.

Ken

Just bought some 100mm RW3 myself. Pulling spare room floor up in our spare room upstairs for some electrical work and I thought I might as well do this at the same time. We also intend to expose the floor boards by getting rid of carpet etc so want to avoid sound and heat transmission. After some investigation - this stuff is great and will help a lot.

I'm using 100mm slabs of Rockwool RW3 which has a Lambda value (Thermal conductivity) of 0.034 W/mK which is good.

It’s standard for “wool”-type insulation. Not especially good.

In these areas I'm considering adding more insulation over the top of the joists as I gather the current recommendation is 270mm thickness.

Yes, go for it; you won’t be opening that space up again for a few decades so do what you can now. Put a load of “cheapo” loft roll over the joists. It won’t cost much or take much time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back