Rollers or pads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a freshly plastered room that after two mist coats (white emulsion 75% paint 25% water) is done in going to paint using a dulux colour.

Previously I've used Harris paint pads as I feel they leave a nice smooth flat finish. The problem is they seem expensive and slow to use?!

Would you suggest sticking with them or switching to rollers? If I switch to rollers I would probably buy from my local tool station who look like they sell Prodec 9" microfiber short pile sleeves for £2.18!

Large paint pad refills are £4.99 from homebase which I've always thought is quite expensive.

Thanks for your time and help

Sponsored Links
never seen anyone use paint pads, rollers are much easier and faster and give a perfect finish if used properly.

I bet you'll struggle to find a pro on here who uses paint pads

He'll have to go to Mumsnet to find anyone that uses them. :mrgreen:

Thanks for that. I think I'm sold on rollers to be honest.

Could you advise me on the different types and the brand I've chosen as per the original post please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
rollers come in three types, short pile for smooth plaster, medium pile, slightly textured surfaces, long pile very textured sufaces. If you use a short pile roller on plaster you should get a very smooth finish, only use medium or long pile for textured surfaces or you will get a textured finish if used on plaster.

I've used pro dec a couple of times from toolstation but to be honest the prodec ones tend to leave bits of fluff on the wall which you obviously dont want. If you have a screwfix near you then get the harris ones i always use these and have never had a problem and for the extra 80p there well worth it. I think they sell the harris ones at B&Q as well but they charge over the odds there.

With any roller sleeve you need to de fluff it first, to do this make a tube using your fingers and thumb and pull the sleeve through your hand a couple of times twisting it as you do - hard to explain but very easy in practice.

I tried pads after someone told me how great they were, terrible is all I can say! Rollers are much better

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back