Rollers v Paint pads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice sought on advantages and disadvantages on using either paint roller or paint pad to paint newly plastered wall with matt emulsion.

Sponsored Links
Advice sought on advantages and disadvantages on using either paint roller or paint pad to paint newly plastered wall with matt emulsion.

No competition.

Pads are not suitable for painting onto new plaster as the level of suction is too high.

You will struggle to apply emulsion with a pad unless you water it down so much that you have something nearing water.

i do use pads but only the older Anza ones (without foam backing) and only for painting MDF.

i am a pro and i once tried a pad and emulsion. I was straining to pull it down the wall because the paint didn't want to flow over the surface.

Don't do it!!!! Get a 9" roller and pole from a real decorating store- not the crap from DIY sheds- the latter are a smaller diameter.

I like the blue and white Purdy colossus sleeves- you dont need to defluff them first.

You will have some splatter but this can be reduced by not applying too much pressure. The splatter is in part the result of the air being expelled from the roller.

Used correctly a pole will enable you to use your body weight rather than knackering one arm. Rolling should not break a sweat if done right.

Keep the tray and roller in a bin liner when not using and occasionally mist with a water spray to stop the paint in the tray skinning whilst you work.

Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back