roof domes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of fitting a roof dome into a flat roof (my darkened garage) and was wondering what was involved. I can get my hands on a used dome, approx 1m square, and have been assured it does not leak.
questions,
1) how difficult are they to fit and make water-tight?
2) can I buy flashing or some kind of kit to make it water tight, as I doubt any of the stuff was kept when it was removed.
3) are there any downsides to roof domes? only thought about the idea when I was told it was available. :)

any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Sponsored Links
easier to break in, needs cleaning, you are stuffed if it gets broken

>>easier to break in
It's not the kind that opens. does that make it more secure, or can it just be broken? It's not on the house, but on a side arage that is connected to the house. Is there a way to make them more secure, like placing a few bars across the inside.
>> needs cleaning,
Isn't it just like a window. Ladder up to flat roof, walk over and give it a wipe.
>>you are stuffed if it gets broken.
hmm. never thought about that one. I suppose the only way to fix it would be buying another one. Then again, aren't they quite robust? Surely the only way it would get broken is if someone tried to break it (ie. burgler) Will need to think about it a bit more.
thanks.

Sponsored Links
it already has lights inside :)
I was just looking into getting some natural light inside, as I am spending more and more time in there (used as a workshop in my spare time.)

Have fitted one from loft shop and they told me it's vandal proof and 99% unbreakable.

Most of them are made from polycarbonate which is a lot harder to break than glass.
If you were a burglar wouldn't you just break a ground floor window?
Very easy to fit.
Cut roof covering to suit dome upstand, cut 'supported' joists, insert trimmers, fit dome on flashing or upstand, flood around flashing with say 'hot bitumen' depending on existing roof covering, make good plasterboard internally and skim.
You will probably find that there is more work & making good internally than externally as long as you are careful with positioning of dome and making good of roof covering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back