Roof insulation: How thk K18 do I need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 100mm of insulation between rafters as per drawing. Now I need Kooltherm K18 to the underside of the rafters but the drawing doesn't say what thickness to use?

It says next I will need 12mm thk foil backed plasterboard, skimmed. I don't understand. Why do I need that as well? As far as I know the K18 = an insulation and 12.5mm plasterboard itself. How thick should be the insulation layer then in my case if I already have 100mm?

Sponsored Links
Beacaus to meet Building Regs you need about 120mm Kingspan in total so about a 20mm continuous layer between the bottom of the rafters and the plasterboard. Perfectly normal construction for a lofty. Ask whoever did the drawings exactly how thick it needs to be as rafter spacings can alter the overall thickness required.
eg

Thanks FMT. The rafters are approximately at 400 centres. The area of sloping roof is 13.7m2 for front and the same for the back. Loft size is 3.7m x 5.2m x 2.5m(height in the middle). Do you think 32.5mm K18 is still enough for that?

Sponsored Links
Sounds about right. May be worth a quick ring to your designer or your BCO beforehand as they'll be approving it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back