Roof Lantern Structure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am looking to have a flat roof extension.

I wanted to install a roof lantern.

I have been told that I can just double up or triple up the joists around the roof lantern.

I was looking at two potential roof lantern sizes.

Option 1 – 2000mm by 27000mm

Option 2 – 1200mm by 2700mm

The joists would span 4.3 m unsupported. And are made up of

47 x 195mm grade C24 joists at 400 ctrs.

Someone told me that I would need steels for larger roof lanterns. I was not sure if the above would be considered large and therefore require structural steels.

Any views on this. Can I just increase the thickness of the joists if needs be to provide stronger support?

please see attached plans

Attachments

• Roof Lanterns (3).jpg
    Roof Lanterns (3).jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 155
Sponsored Links
I'm no expert but would have thought doubling/tripling up the timbers would be more than adequate. 2x8" are beefy lumps alone so 6x8" would be pretty substantial!

No way.

Joists would be ok but they will deflect over time leading to sagging due to weight, steal beams x 2 needed.

Sponsored Links
Can't speak for every BCO but I would accept it, although I'd personally use 3no trimmers on the longer span.

Well I submitted them to BC as part of the Regs plan approval, I didn't even open them mind so could have been anything in there! :)

For roof lanterns that size, you would be better advised having a couple of steel trimmers. As advised above, timber under load is subject to long-term deformation known as 'creep'.
This can sometimes cause ponding on a flat roof, particularly if the fall is not too great to start with.
The steel beams need not be particularly big - probably not as deep as the timber joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back