Roof re-done but lead flashing not reused, felt instead?

Your roof is a mess and it could be that by this time next year it will be leaking.

1. The felt has been laid the wrong way.
1A. Were full rolls of felt used?
2. Some joins are already lifting.
3. The detailing of the upstand, and the window openings is well wrong.
4. Lead doesn't leave the flat field and roll up the abutment - an angle fillet at the roof/wall junction should be used to ease the felt upstand up the abutment, and the lead cover flashing drops down.
5. You dont bend the upstand felt at 90* (if thats whats happening?) it can eventually crack.
6. There was no need to go so high to the chase - only 150mm high is needed for an upstand.
7. Typically, the only time you maybe cut a chase into brickwork is for a pitched roof abutment cover flashing.
8. Some parapet brickwork & capping is loose.
9. Difficult to see but the edge drip detailing doesn't look great.
9A. The odd bits of felt at the end of the gutter appear to be just odd fitted felt?
10. Why is the neighbour's balcony down pipe discharging into your gutter?
11. The wording from the roofer's letter is rubbish.

We never go over flat roofs - we always strip and re-build to modern specs.

catlad, well spotted.

Sponsored Links
@tell80 - that's pretty scathing. Appreciate the info - have saved it for future reference!

1) I saw them bring big rolls in, but whether full or not I certainly couldn't say. I also figured laying the felt lengthways would have meant fewer joins = a good thing, rather than how they laid them front to back.
5) There's a gentle curve at the edges, so it's not a harsh 90^ angle at the upstand, if that makes sense. The quote did specify "triangular tilting fillet" at the perimeter.
7) I happened to see the chase in the middle of the brickwork, who knows how far back in time that was done.
10) The down pipe is actually connected to a gutter (that then feeds into MY gutter just under the roof). Totally bizarre, but there's a badly-done London victorian conversion for you. There are so many things wrong with this building.

Ultimately, I guess I can only hope that it performs better than it looks and, if the worse came to worst, I have some sort of fall-back with the IBG.

Possibly/probably a stupid question - if the joins here have been done poorly, and water eventually makes its way through, would the fact that the original roof covering (which wasn't previously leaking) is still below provide a helpful backstop and allow the water to ultimately slope its way down to the gutter rather than into the room below? The 50mm insulation would be the first thing to get in the way I guess.

Thanks for the detailed reply.
However, I've no idea what will happen if water enters below the "new roof" - leaks in roofing are well known for going anywhere but where you would expect them to go.
Insulation is no barrier to leaks.

Given the job so far maybe that the Insurance or any other guarantee is worthless?
Check it out.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the detailed reply.
However, I've no idea what will happen if water enters below the "new roof" - leaks in roofing are well known for going anywhere but where you would expect them to go.
Insulation is no barrier to leaks.

Given the job so far maybe that the Insurance or any other guarantee is worthless?
Check it out.

Thanks again. Will have a look, but nothing to suggest the insurance backed warranty wouldn't be valid. Appreciate the info!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back