Roof support.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It seems I have to remove a chimney, because I want to put a door next to it and BCO will not allow this while the chimney can still be made to function as a chimney (i.e. blocking it up is not enough). There isn't really anywhere else to put the door.

Unfortunately removing the chimney is tricky, because a substantial roof support rests on some corbelling protruding from the stack.

Just wondering what my options are. Is it practical to extend a roof support without rebuilding the roof? One option might be to support the top section of chimney with metalwork and remove it from below leaving corbelling in place.

thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Never heard that one from a BCO before, what is it that concerns him?

If you want to remove it, it can be done and supported above the door level, keeping the roof in place, but the exact form depends on many variables.

Get a local SE to come and have a look. That's after you've positively established that the BCO is not talking out of his jacksie.

Never heard that one from a BCO before, what is it that concerns him?

(Her....) What clinched it was specification of catnic lintel. Catnic next to chimney was a no-go, apparently. The BCO suggested instead possibilities for supporting the chimney stack with RSJ. Now, I didn't actually ask, but I am assuming that she would have simply suggested concrete lintel instead if that were permitted, or maybe she has a hidden agenda in trying to rid the world of evil fireplaces or something... Perhaps I should spell it out and ask if a different lintel type is OK. BTW: This will be an internal door (upstairs).

Ah, she's (had to be a woman, eh?!) probably talking about the Catnic going into the chimney breast brickwork. Fair comment, I guess, if the surround is only half brick thick. think it's overstating the case but dems da rules, unf.

First off, is there any chance of moving the door over by half a brick? If there is, then the lintel won't penetrate the breast brickwork - 100 bearing will be fine, ignore the catalogue requirements.

Concrete ones might be acceptable to her if you can't move it slightly - again 100 bearing should be fine.

Sponsored Links
First off, is there any chance of moving the door over by half a brick? If there is, then the lintel won't penetrate the breast brickwork - 100 bearing will be fine, ignore the catalogue requirements.

Hmm... that depends on the minimum door width I can get away with. Is it 27 inches? Time to get out the tape measure. The opening for the door will be through double-skin (previously external) wall. Kind-of annoying since I presume this is only a prob. for the inner skin. I need a tapering lintel (sorry... joke!).

OTOH The left side of the chimney (where I'm putting the door) takes the flu from downstairs, so maybe I only need to 'disable' that by putting a lintel high up at the front and turning it into a couple of piers (if that's acceptable).

Thanks for the response, BTW.

Depends if it's adequately buttressed: it will be by the stack on one side, but what's on the other?

Why will that work and a flat one won't then, eh, eh?! Or was that another skipped lesson... :LOL:

Paralell axis continium theorum dictates that the arch will self support :cool:

A flat arch is not an arch but just a name for a particular style of bricks above an opening and has little load bearing capacity - it does not transfer loads to the bearings IIRC

Form an low segmental arch to support the wall above. Sorted

Cool. If I can't fit the lintel I'll put an arch in. I knew you guys would think of something. Obvious really. I have a good two metres of wall either side for support, so should be no problem there.

cheers woody!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back