roof terrace tiles loose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry this goes on a bit:

We have a roof terrace, It is tiled, this was sound and level with all tiles firmly fixed until this winter. It is above the neighbours. Now some of the tiles are loose and not level. I am convinced that the neighbour has done something underneath, as they look to me that they have popped off. I heard lots of banging, drilling etc and wondering if he has done something with an acrow prop :( also he called up at christmas about a big leak, when we said we did not have a washing machine we heard no more, he has been up and splashed mastic paint about. The lack of contact says to me that he had done something.

The construction appears to be a tanked roof with heavy duty felt/bitumen material, with the central area tiled and grouted.

I managed to leaver a loose tile up today as it was dry, the tiles are thin and appear to be a cement type, the appear to have been stuck in place with bitumen and then grouted with cement. Any ideas how I can put the tiles back in good level order? We really cant afford to get a roofer in. And I'm hacked off that they were sound before.

I can take pics if that will help.

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
You have promenade tiles bonded in hot bitumen. Easy to pop when cold. Could be asbestos based too. There is an adhesive called thixophalte that will hold them. Warm the area with a small blowlamp first though.

Why not take pics of your side and the neighbour's side?

A reported "big leak" - where?

Is the "terrace" a framed or concrete slab construction?

As per xenon, a blow or hot air gun will soften the bitumen up.

However, if the whole terrace has been disturbed/raised, even a few milli, then a possible remove and replace of all the tile is required.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info,

The neighbours flat sits underneath it. I think he has done something to pop the tiles off, As there are a fair number loose in a certain area. And they were all sound before.

I'm hacked off as it's yet more work to fix it, and it was fine.

I'll try and get some pictures to post, i'm going to mark the tiles that are loose / uneven with chalk, so I can see how many need relaying.

Regards the leak, he reckoned it was pouring in, if so I'm surprised we never heard anymore about it? A slap of rubberised paint would not stop a big leak...

I think its a framed construction.

So would I warm the area and use the thixophalte?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back