roof vents?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Looking to insulate a pitched roof space above a ground level extension. Have to get the ceiling reboarded and skimmed so thought we should use the opportunity to insulate. Have been advised that cheapest and easiest way is for us to cut hole and put in rockwool style insulation leaving a 6" space near the very edge of the roof. Was concerned about possible condensation once roof is insulated and the builder suggested he puts a couple of roof vents in. Does this sound right? have cut small hole in ceiling for a look and it seems very draughty up there ( I can see that the roof is felted under the slate tiles). My concern is that roof vents are either unneccessary or will allow in rainwater. Any advice on this one would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is this a resent extension? why does it not have insulation already, and what do you intend cutting holes in?

Hi and thanks for a quick reply.It's probably around 1950 but not sure. the slates look old and well weathered. Just cut larger hole in plasterboard ceiling (which is going to be reboarded anyway) and had a proper look. No insulation at all but a very low pitch and lots of beams. Reckon the only way to get access to insulate with rock wool will be to cut a hole at the end of each space between rafters and push it through! this seems like a nightmare job so am now wondering whether it's worth insulating at all - the ceiling is above half of a large dining room and is about 8 x 13 feet. The other half of the room has a bedroom above it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks catlad. Did wonder about that but have no experience of insulated boards and it looks like there's a lot of choice out there. Didn't know whether I'd need to consider condensation or moisture membranes (is that right?). Any suggestions would be very welcome.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back